Friday 5 September 2014

A Few of My Favourite 'Faye' Moments

I was recently thinking back over the many magical 'Faye' moments I've had since I first saw her perform at the Bristol Hippodrome back in July 2011.

I thought I'd try and list some of my favourites here on the blog. There have been far too many to include them all but here are a few in no particular order:

1 In August 2013 Faye was playing Liesl Von Trapp in 'The Sound of Music' at Regents Park open air theatre. I'd booked tickets in advance for a few days before her birthday but unfortunately she picked up a back injury and was unable to perform.

Having explained the situation to her via email she not only arranged a ticket for me to see the final show in mid September when she'd be back on stage but she also agreed to meet me at Euston Station for a chat.

I can't tell you how much that meant to me. We talked for 15-20 minutes and I was able to give her the earrings I'd got for her birthday. I really felt she appreciated my support and to meet somewhere other than a stage door for a change made me feel like a friend as well as a fan.


2 Having fallen in love with Sheridan Smith's Elle Woods in the West End production of Legally Blonde I was prepared to be slightly underwhelmed when I went to see the tour version for the first time at the Bristol Hippodrome in July 2011.

However, not only was the tour production every bit as slick as it's West End counterpart, Faye Brookes was the perfect Elle Woods in every way imaginable.  She was simply sensational from start to finish and although I'd never have believed it possible, even better than Smith. I was completely blown away.

So much so that I went back to see it 3 more times before it moved on to it's next destination and continued to follow it across the UK after that.


3 Although I'd seen the Legally Blonde tour numerous times at various different theatres it wasn't until July 2012 at Oxfords New Theatre that I finally plucked up the courage to say hello to Faye at the stage door.

I was so in awe of her talent that I was slightly lost for words and I remember thinking afterwards that she was even more beautiful as Faye than she was as Elle Woods.

She was so lovely and it was obvious that she was an equally special person off stage as she was on it. It was really at that point that I decided to put a lot of time into this blog and do everything I could to help promote her career.


4 When I travelled to Leeds in July this year I really didn't know what to expect from Shrek the Musical. I'd never seen it in London and like many people probably thought of it as a show mainly for children.

That's really not the case. It's a show for the entire family and one I intend to see many times before Faye leaves the swamp.

The production was fantastic and Faye absolutely shone as the slightly bi-polar princess.

I hadn't seen her in about 6 month's so it was lovely to catch up at the stage door and hear all about what she'd been doing since 'That Day We Sang' finished in January. However much I love seeing her perform, I think having the opportunity to speak to her in person means even more.


5 I hadn't been to a pantomime for about 15 years prior to seeing Sleeping Beauty in Canterbury and I certainly wouldn't have travelled 200 miles to do so had Faye not been in the cast.

However, had I not made the trip I would have missed out on a truly spectacular show and what I'm convinced must be one of the greatest panto's ever.

It was fantastic to see Faye in the slightly more relaxed atmosphere that accompanies panto's and clearly having lots of fun. As always she sparkled on stage and not just because of the stunning pink dress she wore in the show.

Afterwards I was able to chat with Faye and Gareth at the stage door and wish them a very merry Christmas before I made the long trip back to Bristol. Gareth also took my favourite picture of me and Faye which I've used at the top of this post.

Every time I see Faye perform is special and every time I meet her in person is a magical moment I'll treasure, so I could easily go on and on.

A lot of things change over time but one thing that will never change is my admiration and support for this supremely talented and truly remarkable young lady. You're one in a billion Faye.

No comments:

Post a Comment